Wednesday, June 9, 2010

The Definition Of Pibb

As you might imagine, after my return to San Diego from Florida, and the shocking realization that America wasn't quite the promised land of Pibb I had hoped for, I decided to do some research. I needed to know more about this delicious elixir. I wanted to find some answers.

I typed "Pibb" into Google and was immediately taken to the Coca Cola website. Apparently, Pibb is made by the Coca Cola company. Coca Cola's website has the following to say about Pibb:
 
Brand Name: Pibb Xtra
Pibb Xtra: In 2001, Pibb Xtra was introduced as a bolder version of the original Mr. Pibb taste. Its bold taste and graphics appeal to young adults who are looking to get the most out of life and the most out of their soft drink. It appeals to teens who are just gaining independence from home and looking for things to call their own. The soft drink enables them to have an uninhibited, fun and unconventional attitude and touts the sweet, refreshing bold taste they need to express their independence.
Available in the following flavor: Cherry Spice.
Available in the following locations: Mariana Islands and United States.

The website also contains a picture of the holy grail itself, a bottle of Pibb:



That description of Pibb Xtra on the Coca Cola site is quite exciting, isn't it. It claims that the drink itself actually enables people to have an uninhibited, fun and unconventional attitude! Incredible. I'm not sure I would go as far as to say it's done that for me, but I definitely enjoy drinking it. If anyone out there has a story of how they used to have trouble adopting an uninhibited, fun and unconventional attitude, but have been more able to do so since they started drinking Pibb, I would definitely like to hear it.  

I was also quite excited to read the part that says "Available in the following flavor: Cherry Spice". I had been quite frustrated in my previous attempts to accurately describe the taste of Pibb to people who hadn't tried it, but now I knew that the definitive description of the flavor was Cherry Spice.
 
I had also been equally frustrated with people who had tried it, suggesting that it was "the same as Cherry Coke" or that I should "just get a Dr Pepper because it's the same thing". Now I had proof that it wasn't. It was unique.


To clarify, the Coca Cola website has the following to say about Cherry Coke:  

Cherry Coke: For outgoing teens who love to have fun with lots of friends, cherry Coke combines the bold, exhilarating taste of cherry with Coca-Cola to add life to the party.
Available in the following flavor: Cherry Cola.

So they are clearly completely different drinks. Cherry Coke is for outgoing teens who love to have fun with lots of friends, whereas Pibb is for teens who are just gaining independence from home and looking for things to call their own. Furthermore, Cherry Coke has a Cherry Cola flavor, whereas Pibb is Cherry Spice.
 
Next, the Dr Pepper website FAQ states:
 
Q: What is the flavor of Dr Pepper supposed to be?
A: Dr Pepper is a unique blend of 23 flavors. The formula for Dr Pepper is proprietary information.

Q: Does this product come in other flavors?
A: Yes, Dr Pepper comes in Diet Dr Pepper, Cherry Vanilla Dr Pepper, Diet Cherry Vanilla Dr Pepper, Caffeine-Free Dr Pepper, Caffeine-Free Diet Dr Pepper, Dr Pepper Cherry and Diet Dr Pepper Cherry.

So the suggestion that Dr Pepper is the same as Pibb is ludicrous. Dr Pepper is a unique blend of 23 flavors, whereas Pibb is Cherry Spice. Furthermore, Dr Pepper also comes in a special Dr Pepper Cherry flavor, which means that Dr Pepper itself cannot be cherry flavored. Sadly there was no description of the teens that drink Dr Pepper on their website, though.
 
Anyway, I hope that clarifies the unique taste of Pibb, and puts an end to any pointless comparisons with Cherry Coke or Dr Pepper.
 
I also quite like the term "Cherry Spice" as it reminds me of "Geri Spice"; Geri Halliwell, from the Spice Girls.
 
 
 













She was always my favourite.
 

0 comments:

Post a Comment